Friday, January 4, 2013

The Spiritual Art of Diana Comstock

Many Moons ago I joined a friend of mine to go visit Diana in her studio. During this time we were both living in Seattle, Wa. From the moment I walked through her door I knew that I had just been gifted with meeting an artist who is not only kind and beautiful, but an inspiration!

Shortly after my visit with her I had a life change that took be back to my home state of Utah. I corresponded with Diana via myspace and email. Diana gifted me a piece of her work, The Opium Princess. It was this beautiful gesture that changed my life. I am forever grateful to her for that.

It is with great honor that I introduce my readers to an artist whose very soul is embedded in every piece of work she creates. 

Enjoy!




1. You are a self trained artist. When did you get started?

I've been making art since I could pick up a crayon. I put together my first "art show" when I was about 7. My friend and I made watercolor paintings and tried to sell them in my driveway. My grandmother, mother and sister are all artists, so I think it's just something you are born to do. They all unfortunately rarely created though. I always questioned why and thought it was a shame. I vowed to never ignore my passion for art or let insecurity prevent me from creating and sharing.

2. What would you consider your medium?

I would consider acrylic my main medium. I love that it is water based and non toxic. I always have animals living with me and around when I'm working. I wouldn't want them getting toxic oils on them. Plus oils take forever to dry and there would be no way to keep the dog and cat hair out of the paintings!

I love the way acrylic dries quickly, it makes it fantastic for layering and collage. I like incorporating paper, fabric and texture into my work.

3. Your work is so spiritually oriented, what is it that inspires your style?

I've always been inspired by spiritual art. Especially from Asia. I love the intense colors and symbolism. Even though I'm not religious, I appreciate the intensity of religious art and iconography. I am more interested in the feeling that radiates from art more than any literal meaning.

4. What gets your creative juices flowing?
Music can always get the creative juices flowing. I can't work without music.

5. Do you plan out a painting or does it happen organically for you?

I may start out with a basic idea, but I never like to sketch a painting out beforehand. I find that if I put energy into planning it out, by the time it makes it to the canvas it feels watered down. I never know how the painting will end, I just start and it's almost like it speaks to me. I will work for a while, then step back and look at it for a while. Then the next step will just pop into my head. I don't know where it comes from. I've always called it intuitive painting.

6. What music is your favorite to listen too while working on art?

Lately music I've been inspired by ranges from Fever Ray, Amon Tobin to Fleetwood Mac, and I've been obsessed with Vivaldi's Magnificat Italian Opera from the 1700's. Just depends on my mood.

7. What does soul work mean to you?

Well, creating art is a spiritual process for me. I feel like I connect with a higher energy and it flows thru me onto the canvas. What is so brilliantly amazing to me, is that from that sacred experience I am left with a product that has it's own life and purpose. When someone views a painting or hears a song, it creates a feeling. When we feel, we are getting in touch with our true selves. When we are in touch with our true selves that is when we can grow spiritually. Art is so important. We live in a time where art has become entertainment and a luxury. But it is actually a necessity to our survival.


8. You recently moved to SoCal from Seattle, wa. How does the art scene differ from each place and how have you been received?

It definitely feels different being in SoCal. But I would also say that Santa Barbara is alot different from LA too where. I've now had shows in both cities and I've found the art scenes in both to be very open, friendly and accepting. LA is much more international than Seattle, and the scene is bigger, yet very spread out. There are a lot of "scenes" where as Seattle is a much more close knit community. SB is very small and it's not really an art hub, for the business side of new art at least. The business side has never interested me much though. The entire city itself feels like a work of art and the community really appreciates art is all it's forms here. It's the most aesthetically beautiful place I've ever been. It's as if design thought was put into even the most mundane things. Like trash cans are even ornate. I feel my art has been very well received here so far. I've shown in so many different venues, from galleries in NY, LA and Japan to coffee houses and outdoor festivals. Art speaks to everyone, anywhere in the same way, because it speaks to the heart and soul.

9. If you could move to any place in the world, where would it be?

I would love to visit as many places in the world as I possibly can. As far as establishing a home, I really love Santa Barbara. It's the first time in my life I actually feel grounded. Even though I was born in Seattle, it wasn't my choice. I much prefer being in the sun, near the ocean. SB is the first place I actually chose to live, it wasn't just circumstance like other places I have lived. Sometimes though I feel almost guilty at how amazing it is here. I am truly grateful every morning when I wake up.

 
10. What words of wisdom can you share with others who aspire to become an artist?

I don't think you aspire to be an artist. You just are an artist. Whether you use that gift and are productive with it is another story. I truly believe if you are at all inclined to create, whether painting, music, poetry, whatever, that it is your duty to create and share that art with the world. Don't judge what you create, just do it. You don't know who it may touch. You may never even know, look at Van Gogh... But just think of how other artists have created something that inspires you and touches your soul. You have to give back and pass it on. Art is what makes life beautiful!!


To learn more about Diana visit her online:

No comments:

Post a Comment